Thursday, May 21, 2009

多少

[duō shao] 'how much'

Since China decided to ban blogger, I am that much more ecstatic to be in Seoul away from the craziness that I have been living in Shanghai. It's not all bad, I do have lots of fun but it gets very stressful at times. I missed being able to get my feelings out and writing to you guys. ;) I don't know if it's because I can't understand, read, or speak the language but sometimes being surrounded by all Chinese people drives me bonkers! I'm lucky to be visiting friends who can make time to spend with me and have the patience to help me get by.

Just to catch up, during the week or so I have been sans blog, I traveled to Hangzhou, which is a beautiful city known for its scenic West Lake. Kiddo and I went with some of her SUFE classmates and it was refreshing getting to know new people. I also finally met a friend's brother C, who had a lot to share and was so nice to treat me to a 2 hour lunch of delicious Shanghainese food. Let me preface the rest of this post by saying that I have many Chinese friends whom I love and adore and this has nothing to do with them but my issues are with the way locals do business in China. I just need to vent. :P

Lately, it feels like all I have been doing in Shanghai is spending money, moneyy, moneyyy. I somewhat expected to because I have been trying to shop a bit since it's cheaper in Asia, plus there are a few things my mom wanted me to find and a few people that I wanted to find gifts for. I've never minded spending money on things I like or on things for other people but man, what bothers me is that I really feel like these Chinese people are trying to jip the shit out of me.

I ask how much something is and they have no shame to just charge me ridiculous prices on items that are fake and cheap, prices that are higher than what I could pay even in the states. It doesn't make sense. It doesn't feel good to buy things when you have to haggle prices because you know people are trying to take advantage of you. They tell me that it's good quality, and oh you're so pretty, I'll give you a good price. Sometimes, I hide that I'm American and say that I'm from Korea and pretend that I don't speak English just so that they'll leave me alone or so they won't give me that look like oh she must have money.

Okay, so maybe I'm a bit soft and I give in too easily. I should know better going to places like that. But wow, when people start following you for 15 minutes because you're wearing real Gucci sunglasses and they don't give you any freedom to shop as you please, I think that's crossing a line. I should be able to decide what clothes look pretty and if I want two of something I like, not because someone is hovering over me, shoving items in my face. Sure, this is what they do for a living but I'm starting to think that this 'price' is really not worth it.

And, not to mention that there is absolutely no standard for customer service. In some stores, the younger girls are quite nice and very attentive but this one event made me furious. If you negotiate a style for your hair (note: not an item or accessory, your physical self) and a price you are willing to pay, a business should be able to deliver. And if my hair comes out looking like a freaking 老虎 [lǎohǔ] 'tiger', I shouldn't be forced to pay that price or be left sitting there for hours waiting for management to do something or hear threats like do you want to call the cops? I don't understand how they don't take responsibility for what they do. Sure, as an American we have different expectations but shit, if I was Chinese you wouldn't be saying things like there is nothing we can do about it.

As you can see, this little break to Seoul was very much needed. I don't know how much more I can take of them trying to rip me off even though I know there is still more shopping that needs to be done. Sigh. Sorry for sounding so angry but nevertheless let's turn this around. Cheers to my new experiences and learning to not let it get the best of me. I know it didn't sound like it in this post but I am very happy to be where I am, doing the things I am doing... finding out a little bit more about myself and what I want to do.

2 comments:

Miss W. Yvonne said...

ps, don't be angry with all chinese people! we're harmless really. ;)

did you cut your hair over there?

oh! and i can imagine the former canal street times infinity. eek!

Justin said...

yeah chinese ppl suck they want every cents you have lol. i know how you feel with the bargaining I had the same thing in europe at their markets. but i dunno its fun bargaining with them haha or more watching my mom bargain i'm really bad at it.
Sorry about the hair thingy. its probably so cheap to dye your hair there because they don't even have a license lol.
hope shanghai was at least somewhat enjoyable