As I apply for jobs, I wonder more and more if I should check that little box that says Diversity Status. I can't tell if it is good or bad to acknowledge the fact that I am Asian American and Female. Not that I am ashamed of who I am but some days I find myself choosing the Prefer Not To Indicate option. While many companies are trying to diversify their workforce, it can be an advantage to be a candidate for diversity so why shouldn't I check the box? It is already so hard to find a job these days, I should do everything I can to make myself stand out... right? Part of me feels like I don't want to stand out in this way. Part of me feels that you are already being judged by the resume you submit anyway. I don't want to think that I got a job over someone else because of my ethnicity and sex. I'd like to think that I was chosen because I was the best qualified candidate for the job. Is this not right?
What do you think... and what do you do?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
i know what you mean... as for me my name usually gives it away but in the end, and maybe i'm being a little optimistic, i think companies will hire you based on your potential.
learn poker... shipp it
I think you should check it anyway. Because while your saying this, maybe someone is getting chosen over you by checking the box. Maybe you and this other person are equals and she is Asian and a woman. Same as you and because you didn't check it and she did then she gets chosen. Just my two cents.
Take any advantage you can get.
Post a Comment